As a Teacher
Suz shares an expansive approach to playing with the language of music by integrating diverse learning styles—students explore how to speak and understand music by ear (oral tradition), how to read and write it (written tradition), and how to use practical chord theory to understand how songs are made.
Suz teaches: Piano, voice, guitar, ukulele and bass — as well as songwriting skills, recording, arranging, CD production, band coaching, and music technology. She delights in inviting students to find the music uniquely within them, and in helping them put it to practical use.
Check out Suz’s YouTube videos and Free Factsheets below — not to mention a fun presentation of her approach to learning music in Piano Dreams: the Movie. And learn more about Suz’s workshops here.
• play a melody by ear, using just 7 simple piano notes • instantly make up songs using just 3 chords • understand how songs are made • play 1950s songs using just 4 chords • easily create a song’s feel & style with bass lines (made out of chords!) • improvise (make up melodies) using a simple - but really groovy — blues scale! • have oodles of fun with music RIGHT AWAY! And lots more! Check out all her factsheets here.
“Suz invites people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to find the music uniquely in them. She believes that music belongs to everyone, not just “the professionals.”
Suz’s How-to Videos on YouTube
Check out Suz’s free educational videos on her YouTube channel, and let her know if there’s a topic you would like to see covered.
PIANO HOW-TO VIDEOS:
1. How to play a C Blues Scale on Piano
2. How to play an F Blues Scale on Piano
3. How to play the G Blues Scale on Piano
4. Why a blues scale sounds “Bluesy”
5. How to Scat Sing (Improvise) Using the Blues Scale
6. Understanding 7, 9, 11 and 13 Chords
7. Understanding Chords & Melodies on Piano
8. How to Simplify a Song on Piano
9. How to Play 1950s Chords on Piano
10. Easy Piano Improv Using Neighborhood Notes
11. How to Stylize a Piano Song, Part 1: Thinking in chords
12. How to Stylize a Piano Song, Part 2: Cool Bass Lines
13. How to Stylize a Piano Song, Part 3: Arpeggios
14. How to Make Suspended Chords (such as Csus4) on Piano
15. Amazing Grace Variations: Part 1 (Easy, Soft chords, 7ths)
16. Amazing Grace Variations: Part 2 (Jazz Ballad Style)
17. Amazing Grace Variations: Part 3 (Gospel Style)
18. Dark and Light Chords in a Key (Major vs. Minor)
19. How to Speed Read Music
20. Dark and Light Chords: Part 2
21. How to Transpose a Song’s Chords & Key (MAJOR KEYS)
22. Piano Basics: How to Learn Note Names Quickly
23. Piano Basics: Scale, Keys, & Major Scale Formula (part 1)
24. NEW: Note Geometry: What do chords look like geometrically?
25. NEW! Easy Piano Chord Substitutions (at the end of a song)
GUITAR HOW-TO VIDEOS
1. How To Play a C Scale on the Guitar
2. How to Play a Blues Scale on the Guitar
3. How to Play a 1, 4, 5 chord Blues on Guitar
4. How to Play “Mission Impossible” on Guitar
5. How to Play “Another One Bites The Dust” on Guitar
6. How to Play “Crazy Train” on Guitar
7. How to Play “Funky Town” on Guitar
8. How to Play “Money” by Pink Floyd on Guitar
9. How to Play “Secret Agent Man” on Guitar
Got Something you’d like to see covered in a video?
If you have suggestions for topics you’re interested in learning about, just Contact Suz